Habitat for Humanity Okaloosa County makes homeownership possible and affordable for hard-working families who otherwise would find themselves trapped in deplorable conditions. They are able to gain the independence, security and financial stability that homeownership provides along with a sense of pride as they become a part of safe, thriving communities.
There are no categorical barriers to obtaining housing through Habitat, including race, color, religion, gender, handicap, familial status or national origin.
The first step towards qualifying for a home is to meet the basic pre-qualifications and submit the required information to the Habitat office.
The basic criteria to qualify for a Habitat home starts by living or working in Okaloosa County for at least one (1) year.
The application process is open to take in two households; a family of 4-6 for a 4 bedroom house AND another family for a 3 bedroom house.
Both homes will be in Crestview.
In addition, applicants must demonstrate:
Need for Housing
- Unhealthy or unsafe living conditions – landlord is not maintaining property
- Living with friends or family because you cannot afford to live on your own
- Receiving government assistance of Section 8 or live in public housing
- Unable to afford rent increases any longer
Willingness to Partner
- Willingness to complete 300 hours of “sweat equity” per adult
- Participate in homebuyer educational workshops
Ability to Pay
- Must have stable income for at least one (1) year
- Make a $500 application fee
- Owe less than 50% of your monthly income on expenses
- No bankruptcy in past three (3) years
- Acceptable credit payment history
Annual Gross Income Required to Qualify
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, or any other protected status.